Monday, March 31, 2014

The Gift of Giving...

A small gesture… something to let someone know you’re thinking of them. I have been reminded several times throughout the past year how significant a gesture can be. Simple things like a call, a text, an email or a gift from family or friends – they have the ability to make your day that much brighter.

Back in January of this year, I received an email from my mother in law saying that she had been thinking of me and was sending a surprise my way. She ended her email with one of my favorite Bible verses, Hebrews 11:1 “Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” A couple of days later I opened the mailbox to find a package from The Giving Keys with my name on it. Inside was a delicate key bracelet with the word ‘Fearless’ etched onto its surface. The receipt noted that she had ordered the bracelet to have the word ‘Faith’ inscribed on it but instead they had accidentally sent a different word. I then realized that the lovely verse that my mother in law had included in the email was about faith because the bracelet she was sending was to represent the same message.  She offered to have it fixed but it occurred to me that ‘Fearless’ is actually a perfect word for me to wear during a season when I have found that I let my fears sneak up and get the best of me far too often. And if you think about it, to have faith is to be fearless…maybe it was packaged wrong for a reason…perhaps it was packaged right all along.

If you haven’t heard of The Giving Keys: They have a sort of pay it forward philosophy. They are an organization that employs those who are trying to transition out of homelessness. These people that they employ are the ones who work on the key engravings for bracelets, necklaces and other products. The keys each have one word on them ranging from courage to love to strength. And there’s even an option to put a custom word on the key if you have something specific in mind. The idea is that you wear the key and the message that it bears until you encounter someone who you think needs that message. You then give it to the next person who wears it until they feel someone else needs it more than they do… and so on.

It’s a pretty rad give-give win-win concept: The Giving Keys gives a homeless person employment, this person gains self-confidence, independence and an income while spending their days putting positive messages on keys, the keys are then sent out all over the country and are purchased by someone who either needs/wants the message for themselves or who knows someone who could use it, the key is worn and serves as a daily reminder of that message, and then one day the key holder encounters someone else who they feel needs that message and they give the key to them…

Having been on the receiving end of a Giving Key I can tell you that it was such a sweet surprise to receive that gift. And it makes it that much sweeter to have received something that represents and supports such a positive movement.

I’m looking forward to the day when I encounter the opportunity to give my key to someone else who may need it…who knows how far it may travel and who it may help along the way.



Read more about The Giving Keys here:


No comments:

Post a Comment